Thursday 22 January 2015

Victorian Dress half scale

Hello everyone,

It has been too long since my last post- time has been flying now I'm back at college! Especially since I have been so focused on making progress in our latest on going project making one of the dresses from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion Books. I chose to make a Victorian promenade ensemble (from book 2). I scaled up my patterns from the tiny ones in the book and then went fabric shopping to try and find materials close to the original materials used. After that I did a bit of toiling and have now begun making up. I have finished my sleeves completely- they took 3 days by themselves- so much hand sewing due to pieces being so small you cant really do them under the machine practically.

Here is the original Victorian dress, the image is from the V and A website where the garment is held in the archives:

 
And here are my kind of replica half scale sleeves:

 
I am quite proud of them :) Now I just need to get on and make the rest of the ensemble... in between starting on my first make for a show production which starts next week! :D Ahhh, Yayaya I'm very excited about that!!! (can you tell!? haha)
 
Also soon I will be bringing you all a mini fascinator tutorial upon suggestion by one of my lovely readers Mel makes! So look out for that :)
 
Speak to you all again soon and I hope you are all super well,
 
Bye XxXxXxX
 

3 comments:

  1. I love Victorian dress so much
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the detail on your sleeve is stunning! Yay, I look forward to the tutorial :D x

    ReplyDelete

Please do share your thoughts or ask any questions. I always reply, Promise! :)